The McKee Fehl team has undertaken multiple residential and commercial construction works at 36 Customhouse Quay on behalf of Cornerstone Partners.
The mixed residential/commercial nature of the building, coupled with 80% of the property being tenanted during construction, required a highly tailored, phased and coordinated construction approach.
Completed works to date:
- Seismic strengthening across all floors of building including four level carpark.
- Complete replacement of exterior cladding, waterproof membrane, and south façade window glazing on all nine office floors.
- Replacement of the existing roof while the building was fully occupied.
- Complete interior and exterior refurbishment of the penthouse apartments.
- Top spec new tenant office fitouts on Level 9 for Madison Recruitment and Level 11 for The Property Group Ltd. Both included open plan working spaces, breakout meeting and boardrooms.
- Large format exterior signage along top of buildings east and north façade.
Outstanding works - anticipated to be completed by mid-2019:
- Fitout the ground floor as a fine-dining restaurant on behalf of Yugroup.
- Removal of existing timber and butenol canopy for new fully glazed steel frame canopy with integral lighting.
Notable project challenges:
- With over half the building occupied, the window replacement work required a delicate approach where McKee Fehl worked directly with the tenants to minimise disruption, provide adequate protection of the fitout and shield workers from the weather.
- An additional evening crew was employed to conduct all plaster topping removal and concrete drilling to accommodate noise restrictions (especially for internal and adjacent office workers).
- Custom fire rating solutions were required due to the mixed residential/commercial nature of the building and the presence of a retained timber/steel support structure in the penthouse apartments. McKee Fehl worked closely with the fire engineer, mechanical engineer, architect and mechanical/sprinkler contractor to develop tailor made solutions.
- A tailored construction plan including traffic management, road closures, and minimum duration system change was implemented to accommodate 16 story crane lift to remove an existing chiller and install a new replacement.